Why are my benefits going up?
• There is a new law called the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. You might have heard it called the stimulus package.
• Because of the law, you get more Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits. SNAP is the new name for the Food Stamp Program. SNAP may have a different name where you live.
How can I use the extra benefits?
• Use your extra benefits to buy food at your grocery store.
• In some places, SNAP also offers nutrition education to help you and your family learn to choose healthy food on a budget and be more active.
How do I get the extra benefits?
• You get the extra benefits starting April 2009.
• The extra benefits will be added automatically to your EBT card. You do not have to do anything.
How much extra do I get?
• Some households with 1 or 2 people who get the minimum benefit of $14 a month may get $16 a month starting in April. Others may get more.
• Look at the table below to see how much more you may get each month.
• For example: If there are 3 people in your household and right now you get $250 each month. In April, you will get $313 each month. ($250 + $63 = $313)
Increase per person in household
1 + $24
2 + $44
3 + $63
4 + $80
5 + $95
6 + $114
7 + $126
8 + $144
Each extra person + $18
For more information: SNAP Information